Wednesday, February 1, 2012

JavaScript Frameworks: Still looking...

So many choices!

There are so many MV* frameworks and libraries available for client side JavaScript application development it’s nearly impossible to give them the proper amount of time to investigate them.

I’ve looked at Backbone.js, Knockout.js, Spine.js, Ember.js, Zappa, Express, JavaScriptMVC, Require.js, jQuery, jQuery Mobile, Handlebars.js, Jasmine, Angular.js, the list goes on.

For the server side I’m looking at Node.js and possibly MongoDB or CouchDB. Not sure…

I’ve also learned just how much I don’t know about JavaScript and how far it’s come. I had no idea what a REPL was until someone mentioned jsFiddle on Twitter.

Then there’s the whole JavaScript or CoffeeScript thing. I think it’s important to learn JavaScript before jumping into CoffeeScript, but it sure looks inviting…

At the moment, entirely subject to change, it looks like either Knockout.js or Backbone.js. I like the MVVM-like nature of Knockout.js data binding. But, Backbone.js has a very active community behind it. I’m nearing the point where I’ll just have to bite the bullet and pick one or I’ll never get going.

More examples soon. I promise!

I’m cursed, but I love it. May you live in interesting times or something like that…

1 comment:

  1. Take another look at Angular.js:

    http://docs.angularjs.org/tutorial

    I found Backbone didn't save me much time compared to what require.js brought to the table; Angular does a lot of heavy lifting, from what I can tell and is fairly easy to pick up and utilize...once you get through the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete